Tuesday, October 22, 2013

How Much Longer?!

Thursday, May 16, 2013


Today was the day that my LDS mission call was supposed to arrive in the mail!! School felt like 10,000 years long and upon arriving home I rushed straight to voice lessons. Before I left, my sister told me that she was going to check the mail, and I specifically told her NOT to. But of course she did, so halfway on my way to voice lessons, I get a text, IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, of course I couldn't concentrate after that! But that was the best I've sung in a long time! Finally, my half hour was up and I rushed home, faster than I'd like to admit. I broke down the door, got the keys for the mailbox and sprinted out. Of course, I had a panic attack once I got to the mailbox and it took me a couple of seconds to actually open the mailbox. Upon opening the mailbox, I saw that my MISSION CALL HAD ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!! I was so excited! I read the name on the packet a few times, just to be sure that it was actually to me. Unfortunately, I had to work that night, but work is always so fun, so I was alright. I had told people to start gathering at my house around 8:45 and my mom had said 9:00 so we were expecting our family and friends! I didn't actually get off of work until 8:45 so, I raced home and went upstairs to make myself a little more presentable. I came downstairs and it was time. I was opening my mission call. I was going to find out where I would be serving the Lord. Where I would find people to teach about the gospel of Jesus Christ. As I climbed up on our footstool, my heart was racing. Much like a soccer mom driving a mini van. I ripped open the envelope, and quickly put the papers behind the envelope. I have a really bad habit of peeking and skimming and just missing things. So, I hid my call letter so I would be just as surprised as everyone else! Before I started reading, I was sure that I wasn't going to cry, but as soon as I read, "Dear Sister Pearce," I started bawling. But it was like a controlled bawl. "You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." I knew what was coming next, and I was getting pretty nervous at that point. "You are assigned to labor in the New Zealand Hamilton Mission... You should report to the New Zealand Missionary Training Center on October 24, 2013. You should be prepared to teach the gospel in the English Language." The whole room erupted in cheers. I was SHOCKED. New Zealand wasn't even a thought in my head! I was so overcome with emotion. And everyone was so excited! I felt so loved. 

From May 17-July 5, 2013

Well, preparations started right away, I filled out my passport paperwork, and received my visa paperwork in the mail. I received my visa paperwork, just after I got my call, but I couldn't start working on it until July 16. So, more waiting ensued. 

July 6, 2013


I received my endowment on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Some of the wonderful people in my ward came to the session, and my choir teacher was also there. I was so grateful for all of their support!  My grandparents and aunts and uncles drove from St. George to come support me as well. It was such an overwhelming, but amazingly spiritual experience for me! I loved every second of it. 

July 7-September 10, 2013

My mom and I started clothes shopping. It was really a difficult time. We would shop for days and not find anything! Then one day we stopped at Dress Barn and we found SO MUCH STUFF! Shirts, and skirts, and cardigans! A whole bunch of stuff that I needed just for my mission. And after that day, everything just fell into place. 

September 11, 2013


"Rachel Pearce was assigned to report to the New Zealand MTC on October 24th, but we will need to have all of the missionaries in this group plan to come two weeks later on November 7th to the Provo MTC instead due to timing issues regarding a Mission Presidents’ Seminar and capacity concerns in the New Zealand MTC. Please let the missionary know of this change of plans. Missionary Travel will be in contact with a new itinerary very soon." You can better your bottom dollar that I about felt kicked in the gut. I had already been waiting 5 months!! I didn't want to wait another 2 weeks. But the Lord knows best and it turns out that I know report on the same day as 3 of my best friends! It's going to be super great! 
October 20, 2013
Today was my "not so farewell, farewell!" I was surrounded by friends and family and all of the people that I love and care about. I spoke on Teaching with the Power and Authority of God. Allie, one of my bestest friends, and who I am reporting to the MTC on the same day with, spoke with me. It was so amazing! So, so, spiritual. I loved it. 
Now, after waiting 160 days, I have a mere 14 days left and I am so ready and excited to serve the Lord! I am so excited to teach the people of New Zealand and bring them unto repentance and unto their Lord and Savior!!  








No comments:

Post a Comment