Thursday, February 12, 2015

I Ate the Tongue of A Kinna - Email Dated: 01/28/15

What an exciting week this was! It started out at the zoo! And let me tell you. It wasn't even a zoo. It was like...lame. But exciting all the same. (: It was a good Preparation Day.

Tuesday we had District Meeting and those are always fun!! 

Then on Friday, we had Sports Night at Ngamotu Beach again and Te Ata, one of our member's husbands, went diving and he brought back a heap load of kinnas. If you don't know what a kinna is, I'll attach a photo of all the ones that he caught..mind you, they were all still alive when this photo was taken. 6909 They are some of the sharpest things that I have ever held in my life. If you touch it lightly, the wrong way, they draw blood. It's pretty intense. You break them open, either with spoons or with a knife. It's a little sad to watch, because you're basically murdering a real life creature. So, you break them open and there's their guts and stuff and their teeth and tongue and such. I was so game to try one. Being in New Zealand around a bunch of Islanders, you have to game to try anything. So, I've learned to try everything once and then to not eat it again if I don't like it. Well guess what? I really enjoyed the kinna. It really only tasted like salt water because they were completely fresh out of the ocean, but it was so nice. (: Slimey, but nice! Sister Baird, who isn't much of a sea food person, didn't like it at all. (: It was a little bit comical watching her gear up to eat one. (: 6902, 6910.

Saturday we had interviews with President Rudd. So, we drove down to Hawera Saturday morning and picked up the Stratford Sisters along the way. The trainings were all on The Book of Mormon. 5 hours worth of training on the Book of Mormon and my testimony of it is stronger than it has ever been in my life. At the end we watched How Rare A Possession and that was one of the greatest movies that I have ever watched. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It truly makes you grateful for the Book of Mormon. So, that training took most of the day and by the time we got home, it was 5 o'clock

We didn't really know what to do and so we sat outside and spoke with our neighbour, Martin for a little while. He got out photos of his family, who have all passed away and that was really touching. He is so ready to be baptised, he just has a few changes before he can enter into the waters of baptism, but we definitely feel that he'll be baptised this year. (:

Sunday was one of the greatest Sabbath days that I've had in the mission field. At 8:00 I got a call from President Heremia and he asked me to speak in Sacrament Meeting. He told me that I could speak on whatever I felt so inspired to speak on, so I decided to speak on the Book of Mormon! I was a little bit stressed out because I didn't really have that much time to prepare, but guess what? I didn't even have a paper with everything written down on it. For the first time in my life I trusted in the Spirit enough that I let Him guide my talk. And he did! It was absolutely amazing. After church we visited a couple of families and then at 4:00 we headed back to the chapel to see Hannah Anderson and Tiffany Gaastra be set apart as Missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Sister Anderson will be going to Auckland, New Zealand. A completely foreign land for her, but she is so excited and Sister Gaastra is going to the Ogden, Utah mission. They were both set apart by President Rudd because Districts fall under the direction of the Mission President and both of their blessings were so unique and individual. It just testified to me that Heavenly Father knows each of us individually. It was awesome! 

Then straight after the setting aparts, we had a devotional that President and Sister Rudd were the guest speakers at. It was truly amazing. Sister Cardall and I played a duet on the piano and I think that that was the first time in my entire life that I have played through a song that I have prepared without making a single mistake. Even Sister Cardall played through without a single mistake. It was amazing. And guess who came? Martin! He came to the chapel for the first time! And he had a really great time. The Spirit was so strong. It was amazing. 

Well, the Gospel is True! I love being a missionary! It is the best thing that has every happened to me. 

Sister Pearce 
6870-> The Elders Brought us a pet. A cute, stinky hedgehog! 

 
6878-> The puzzle that we made for Martin abut the Plan of Salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment